7 modules taking you from idea to completed film.
- Intro to storytelling
- Find your idea
- Choosing your narration style
- Visual storytelling techniques
- Character arc
- Three act structure
- Balancing storytelling with truth
- Writing interview questions
- Intro to producing
- How to put together a film crew
- How to create a treatment
- How to put together a schedule
- How to create a budget
- How to fund your project
- How to create a production binder
- How to create a callsheet
- Intro to camera basics
- Camera resolution
- Frame rates
- Aspect ratio
- Picture profile
- White balance
- Depth of field & focal length
Directing & Filming
- Intro to directing & filming
- Camera angles
- Camera movement
- How to film an interview
- Keeping your subject in focus
- Natural lighting
- How to record sound on location
- Intro to editing
- Overview of editing workflow
- Labeling, syncing & organising
- Transcribing your footage
- Paper edit
- Assembly edit
- Rough cut
- Fine edit
- The power of sound design
- Intro to marketing
- Online vs festival film release
- Tips to successful social media marketing
- Intro to business
- How to make a living as a filmmaker
- Embrace failure
- My favourite business books
- Mental health & motivation
Here are some of the amazing perks you get when you join DFA.
We host regular Zoom calls for DFA members where you can ask questions & get feedback.
Get discounts with our brand partners (Red Giant, Mister Horse, Noun Project and more).
Connect with like-minded filmmakers with our private DFA community.
Workbooks & Templates
We supply templates and workbooks to help you make your documentary.
Virtual Job Shadows
Get onset behind-the-scenes videos showing the making of our films & commercials.
Get lifetime access to all current and all new content that is added to DFA.
Make Your Dream Documentary
DFA is an affordable, flexible and easy-to-understand, step-by-step guide to the entire documentary filmmaking process.Buy now
What are our members saying about DFA?
“I genuinely cannot tell you how much this course has lifted my confidence. I now have what Seb calls a three-act structure, a treatment, and I could pitch my idea to a room of people."
“Anyone who's interested in making documentaries should get this course. I know I'll definitely be returning to specific segments as different things arise in my filmmaking career."
“This has been a smooth and clear step-by-step guide through making a documentary. I was able to learn at my own pace and go back to sections I wanted to repeat with ease.”
30 Day Money Back Guarantee.
We want to add as much value to you as possible, to help save you time and money when making your documentary. But if you don’t feel we’re doing that for you, then we respect that and are happy to give you your money back within 30 days of purchase.
Question's you may have about DFA.